Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Pray the Scriptures

This part of the Journey with Jesus allows the Bible to soak into your life as you pray the words of the scripture. Choose a passage and let it live in your life. The book of Psalms is full of encouragement, so they are a ready place to begin.

A precious passage in Psalm 121 begins with, “I will lift up my eyes to the hills—From when comes my help? My helps comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.” Read the words of the passage very slowly, one phrase at a time. Keep your heart attentive to God’s message for your life. When I spend time with this spiritual practice, I hear the word of God applied and living. Reading through a passage seeking to see God’s presence in your life lets these scriptures apply to your situation.

For example, when I read Psalm 121, seeking to pray the scriptures, my heart landed on verse 4. It says, “Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.” During my time in ministry several concerns in my church kept me up late worrying. How would these seemly insurmountable obstacles be conquered? Opening my Bible, I started reading slowly through Psalm 121 and this verse struck me. No need to stay up late worrying over these things when God was already up. Why try to brain storm or plan my way through this problem? What I really needed to do was rest and let God stay up through the night working on these challenges. As this realization dawned, I wrote in the margins of my Bible, “I can sleep, because He does not.” After a time of talking over the situation with God, I was ready to rest. With this done I closed my Bible and turned out the light, trusting God to handle this problem like He had so many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment